About Recuperative Care
Some of our neighbors do not have a home where they can continue healing after leaving the hospital. Father Joe’s Villages’ Recuperative Care Program (RCP) bridges the gap between discharge and a full recovery, improving outcomes and reducing hospital readmissions. This program offers a range of coordinated services and resources, including housing, case management, meals, and healthcare services, to individuals who are exiting the hospital but are too sick to go back to the streets. Recuperative Care is not a long-term housing program (typical length of stay is not to exceed 90 days) but serves as a bridge to other housing and social service programs.
Father Joe’s is uniquely positioned to provide recuperative care services in San Diego:
- We are experts in providing residential services to homeless individuals and families, with decades of experience
- Our onsite Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC), the Village Health Center, employs best practices in healthcare for individuals experiencing homelessness and includes primary care, dental, psychiatry, behavioral health, substance/alcohol use disorder treatment, Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT), laboratory, referrals and care management services.
- Our buildings have the support of 24/7 shelter and security staff.
- We provide case management support to address each client’s unique needs and goals.
- Education & Employment Services offers a resource center, vocational training, employment and skills classes, and resume and interviewing mentorship.
Admission & Exclusion Criteria
The RCP accepts referrals, from contracted hospital and health plans, for patients who are nearing discharge from a hospital stay that would otherwise be discharged to the streets, their vehicle, or other areas not meant for human habitation where they cannot fully remedy their health conditions. We have contracts with Molina Healthcare, CHG, Aetna, Kaiser, Health Net, and Blue Shield Promise Medi-Cal Managed Care Plans.
Clients of the RCP are expected to:
- Be able to complete Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) independently (e.g., use the toilet on own, bathe on own, eat on own) and without assistance from another person in a communal living environment.
- Refrain from use of illicit drugs or alcohol onsite
- Possession or use of drugs/alcohol/paraphernalia onsite is prohibited.
- Demonstrate safe behavior towards themselves and others at all times
- Arrive with at least a two-week supply of all medications, medical supplies, and any assistive devices needed during their stay.
We are unable to serve individuals who are:
- Experiencing a medical or psychiatric health condition that necessitates a higher level of care (e.g. current suicidal ideation, complex wound care, extensive need for physical therapy multiple times per day, end-of-life/hospice care, etc.).
- Registered sex offender or convicted of arson.
- Individuals who are currently debarred (excluded) from services at Father Joe’s Village due to prior behavioral issues
- Positive for active TB not yet cleared for community-dwelling (i.e. contagious)
- In need of a PICC or other central line with active substance use disorder.