This year on November 27th, multiply your good. All gifts to Father Joe’s Villages will be matched up to $50,000 for #GivingTuesday San Diego. Learn more.
As you know, San Diego is in the midst of a homelessness crisis and for many San Diegans, the end of homelessness appears to be out of reach. However, #GivingTuesday is a chance to show San Diego that you see things differently. This month, join the movement for hope.
What is #GivingTuesday?
#GivingTuesday is a global movement that encourages people to do something positive for their community after Black Friday and Cyber Monday. On Tuesday, November 28th, become one of the thousands of compassionate San Diegans giving to local organizations.
Plus, you can contribute even more through Cyber Monday on Amazon! Just go to https://smile.amazon.com/ and sign in. Choose Father Joe’s Villages as your organization to benefit and return to smile.amazon.com whenever you order something on Amazon. Amazon will contribute a percentage of the order to Father Joe’s Villages at no additional cost to you! Find more information here.
How does #GivingTuesday make a difference for Father Joe’s Villages?
#GivingTuesday donations fund the life-changing services and programs that help our neighbors experiencing homelessness move off the streets and into homes of their own.
Your donation can have a real, direct impact on the lives of our neighbors in need.
$13 provides one night of housing to a person who is homeless — $6.50 matched.
Just $27 provides access to therapeutic childcare — $13.50 matched.
$285 pays for one veteran to be fully trained, certified and ready for a job as a security guard — $142.50 matched.
$412 gives one week of housing to a family of four — $206 matched.
Let your friends know that for the same amount as a pumpkin spice latte, they can help a child access the tools they need to break the cycle of homelessness. It’s a small price to pay for a better future.
Together, we can make a difference on #GivingTuesday.
How can I participate in #GivingTuesday?
- Father Joe’s Villages encourages #GivingTuesday participants to contribute to our mission to end homelessness by donating online. All we ask is that you consider making a small donation and encourage others to do the same.
- Please set your Facebook cover photo to one of the photos below. Instructions can be found further down on the page. You can download the cover photo here.
- Start a Facebook Fundraiser today to encourage your friends and family to contribute to your #GivingTuesday campaign for Father Joe’s Villages by November 27th. Imagine if 10 of your friends gave $10 each—and then the amount they raised was matched? Your campaign could raise $200—Enough to house a neighbor experiencing homelessness for over two weeks in Transitional Housing. Instructions below.
- Share our suggested posts on social media. Spread the word through Facebook, Twitter or email to strengthen your impact. Instructions are below and images can be downloaded here.
*This year you can DOUBLE your impact. Your gift will be matched up to $50,000 due to the contribution of several generous donors.*
We are so grateful to our special anonymous donors for providing us the opportunity to match #GivingTuesday donations.
This means that for all donations made on November 27th, $1 = $2. This year, make your gift really count.
Start a Facebook Fundraiser
To create a fundraiser for Father Joe’s Villages click here or follow these steps:
- Click Fundraisers in the left menu of your News Feed.
- Click Raise Money.
- Select Nonprofit/Charity.
- Select a charitable organization, choose a cover photo and fill in the fundraiser details. (Click here to download our cover photo design)
- Click Create.
Reset Your Facebook Cover
- To save the photo and set as your Facebook cover: Download our #GivingTuesday Social Media Kit here. >>
- “Unzip” the file by double-clicking on the file or right-clicking and choosing “extract” from the drop-down menu. A folder will open up with the images. Then save the images to Desktop by dragging the photos of your choosing onto your desktop with your mouse.
- Then, log in to Facebook and click on your name in the top right corner. This will bring you to your profile page.
- Once on your profile page, hover your mouse over the large photo at the top (the cover photo) and click “Change Cover”.
- Click the third option on the list that pops up: “Upload Photo/Video”.
- In the box that pops up, click on “Desktop” and then the #GivingTuesday photo.
- Drag to reposition and “Save”.
Post About #GivingTuesday on Social Media
- To post on social media, please click the following links to open up Facebook, Twitter and/or email:
- Click here to share via Facebook. Copy and paste the excerpt (see Step #1 below) into the post.
- Click here to share via Twitter.
- Click here to share via email.
- Click here to share via LinkedIn. Copy and paste the excerpt (see Step #1 below) into the post.
- Click here to download images to use on social media.
- The above methods will not let you share a photo of your choosing. If you would prefer to share your own photo on Facebook, go to facebook.com and at the top of the page, in the box with the words “What’s on your mind…?”, copy the message below and paste it in this box.
- Highlight the text, hold down the CTRL + C keys at the same time (or highlight the text and right-click, then select “copy”). Click in the “What’s on your mind?” box and hold down the CTRL + V keys (or right-click again and select “paste”).
Text to copy into post:
Please join me in celebrating this Giving Tuesday with @FatherJoesVillages — Just $27 can provide a child a day of life-saving Therapeutic Childcare. Plus, this Giving Tuesday only, your donation is MATCHED up to $50,000. Double your impact: http://ow.ly/YQGh30gBM4J
- If you don’t see the @FatherJoesVillages highlighted in blue (see picture example to right), that means it’s not properly tagged. Place your cursor right after @FatherJoesVillages and click our logo when it comes up.
2. Click Photo/Video. Choose the file you’d like to upload by double clicking on it (Download our #GivingTuesday Social Media Kit here).
3. Click Post.
Cyber Monday Instructions
Give Back on Cyber Monday
If you’re planning to do some online shopping on Cyber Monday, November 26, 2018, use Amazon Smile to give a percentage of your purchase(s) to Father Joe’s Villages at no additional cost to you. See instructions below for how to use Amazon Smile.
Share on Networks
Share via Facebook Copy and paste: If you’re planning to do some online shopping on Cyber Monday, November 26, 2018, use Amazon Smile to give a percentage of your purchase(s) to Father Joe’s Villages at no additional cost to you. Just go to Amazon Smile, choose Father Joe’s Villages as your charity and start all your purchases at smile.amazon.com. Together, we can see all of San Diego shine.
How to Participate in Amazon Smile
- If you have an Amazon account, proceed to smile.amazon.com and log in.
Select a Charity
- Once you log in, Amazon will ask you to “Select a Charity”. Under “Or pick your own charitable organization”, in the bar that says “Charity name or location”, type “Father Joe’s Villages”.
- Click “Search”.
- When Father Joe’s Villages comes up, select.
- This will set up your smile.amazon.com account. *You must always start from smile.amazon.com every time you purchase an item in order to participate.*